The State of CA has a search page that allows to check if your license (guard card) has been approved, or updated in the case of an expired license:

  1. Go to the CA State Breeze License Search Page.
  2. Select Security and Investigative Services, Bureau Of in the BOARDS AND BUREAUS box, then select Security Guard from the LICENSE TYPE Box (shown in the diagram to the right:)
  3. Enter your first name and last name into the First Name and Last Name boxes.
  4. Click the Search button.

Your license will only appear in the search results if you have a existing guard card. If you do not have an existing guard card, you name won’t show up until you have applied, and the BSIS has approved your guard card.

If you lost your card, or have not yet received your guard card in the mail, you can print that page an use it as a temporary card, until your replacement card or intital card arrives in the mail.

Please note that if your guard card is expired, that license will show up in the search results, with a status of Cancelled, Expired, or Suspended, until you are approved again, at that point, the status will change to “Current.”

You can also call the BSIS directly at: (800) 952-5210 to inquire about application processing, they are available from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM on weekdays, excluding holidays.